Who we are
Howard Center Workers’ Union, AFSCME Local 1674, exists to improve working conditions, build solidarity, and fight for better communities for the workers at the Howard Center and the individuals we serve.
The union is the only way to ensure we and our clients are treated with basic fairness, respect, and dignity. We want to help all workers to become actively involved in our union so that we can create a truly client-centered democratic workplace delivering the highest quality of care.
Our general meetings are held on the first Wednesday of the month from 5:30-7:00PM in the “Spirit of Generosity” Room at 1138 Pine Street. We invite all non-supervisory Howard Center workers to attend.
Joining the union is the right thing to do. It’s also easy!
- Download and print out the membership form.
- Fill in the middle section (“Membership Application”); for local number, write in 1674.
- Don’t forget to sign and date.
- Return it using one of the following methods of delivery:
- Take a decent picture of it with your phone and email that to us at howard[dot]union[at]gmail[dot]com.
- Or, if your workplace printer can scan documents, scan it to your work inbox and forward the email to us.
- Or, send it via Howard’s interoffice mail to our Recording Secretary, Tess Mulder-Seel at 75 SRD.
- Or, raise or adopt a carrier pigeon. We don’t have a lot to add to that one; you’re pretty much on your own at that point.
That’s it. You’re done. Unless you want to get involved, which we’d really and truly appreciate!
Your union representatives
Lisa McCrillis, Community Liaison | Sarah Floyd, Executive-at-Large | Amanda Calder, Executive-at-Large & Steward | Sarah Ashley Simmons, Executive-at-Large & Steward | Tess Mulder-Seel, Recording Secretary & Steward | Lenora Meyers-Nelson, Treasurer & Steward | Dana Wilkinson, Vice President | Daniel Peyser, President & Steward | Hannah Kretvix, Steward | Michele Squires, Steward | Nolan Rampy, Steward | Karen Porter, Steward | David Van Deusen, Council 93 Staff Representative